1 pleasurable expectation [syn: expectancy]
2 something expected (as on the basis of a norm); "each of them had their own anticipations"; "an indicator of expectancy in development" [syn: expectancy]
4 some early entity whose type or style anticipates a later one; "there were many anticipations of Darwinian theory"; "the hour glass was an anticipation of the clock"
5 wishing with confidence of fulfillment [syn: expectation]
Anticipation can refer to:
- Anticipation (album), a 1971 album by Carly Simon.
- Anticipation (song), the title track of this album.
- Anticipation (artificial intelligence), the concept of an agent making decisions
- Anticipation (convention), the 67th World Science Fiction Convention, to be held in Montréal in 2009
- Anticipation (emotion), an emotion involving pleasure in considering some expected or longed-for good event, or irritation at having to wait.
- Anticipation (finance), where debts are paid off early.
- Anticipation (genetics), where the severity of a genetic disorder increases with each generation.
- Anticipation (music), a type of nonchord tone.
- Anticipation (video game), a 1988 game for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Anticipation (Guinness) a 1994-1995 advertising campaign for Guinness.
- In the U.S., when one prior art reference or event discloses all the features of a claim, see novelty (patent)
anticipation in German: Antizipation
anticipation in French: Anticipation (homonymie)
anticipation in Dutch: Anticipatie
anticipation in Russian: Антиципация
TLC, a priori knowledge, anachronism, antecedence, antecedency, antedate, antedating, anteriority, apprehension, attention, beginnings, buddhi, care, carefulness, caution, certainty, circumspection, circumspectness, clairvoyance, concern, confidence, consideration, contemplation, direct apprehension, discretion, earlier state, earliness, early hour, early stage, envisagement, envisionment, expectancy, expectation, farseeingness, farsightedness, feeling, first crack, first stage, foreboding, forecast, foreglance, foregleam, foreglimpse, forehandedness, foreknowledge, foreseeing, foresight, foresightedness, forethought, ground floor, head start, heed, heedfulness, historical error, hope, immediate cognition, imminence, insight, inspiration, intuition, intuitionism, intuitive reason, intuitiveness, intuitivism, knowledge without thought, lateness, longsightedness, looking ahead, loving care, metachronism, mindfulness, misdate, misdating, mistiming, parachronism, past time, postdating, precedence, precedency, precession, precognition, predating, prediction, preexistence, preparation, preparedness, prepublication, presentiment, prevenience, preview, prevision, priority, probability, prochronism, prolepsis, prospect, prospection, providence, provision, prudence, readiness, regard, regardfulness, reliance, running start, sagacity, satori, second sight, second-sightedness, sixth sense, solicitude, status quo ante, subconscious knowledge, subconscious perception, tardiness, tender loving care, thought, thoughtfulness, time to spare, unastonishment, unmediated perception, unpunctuality, very beginning